Bike Commuter Benefit

Bike Commuter Benefit

**Submit your 2017 reimbursement claims between now and March 31, 2018**

The Bike Benefit Act allows bicycle commuters to receive $20/month (maximum $240/year) reimbursement against costs associated with bicycle purchase, improvement, repair and storage. Unlike an FSA, reimbursement comes directly from the University and is not set aside by the individual employee.

A qualified bicycle commuting month is one during which a benefits eligible employee is biking for a substantial portion of the commute and does not receive a monthly transit pass or parking permit through Harvard University.

This benefit operates on the calendar year; your total reimbursement amount accrues over the calendar year and is paid back to you against the total eligible expenses you incurred in the same year. Reimbursement claims are processed and paid in the beginning of the following year. If you are a new employee or use a parking permit or transit pass through Harvard for some months of the year, your total reimbursement value is prorated based on your eligible months.

Who is eligible?

Full time benefits eligible employees who commute by bicycle to work. If you have questions about eligibility please email CommuterChoice.

What is reimbursable? 

Bicycle commuters are eligible for tax-free reimbursement of up to $20/month at a maximum of $240/year for the costs associated with bicycle purchase, improvement, repair and storage.

Purchases such as bicycle apparel, clothing, Hubway memberships, or expenses incurred by your spouse or dependants are not eligible at this time.

Eligible expenses include:

Bicycle purchase

  • New or used bicycles purchased from a store or a private party.

  • A bike is the only item that may be purchased from a private party; any other bike-related purchases made from a private party are not eligible for reimbursement. 

Maintenance, improvements, accessories

  • Purchasing parts and/or the service used to improve a bicycle as well as accessories, such as racks and locks.

Parking and storage

  • The costs associated with parking or storing a bicycle anywhere from a day to a year.

Safety gear

  • Helmets, lights, bells, and reflectors (attached to the bike).

How do bicyclists take advantage of the subsidy?

  • Complete a Bicycle Expense Claim Form and submit to WageWorks along copies of eligible receipts.
  • 2017 expenses can be submitted anytime through March 31st, 2018. The reimbursement period is between January 1 - March 31, 2018, and claims will be processed and reimbursements distributed within 45 days during this reimbursement period.

What form of supporting documentation is needed?

For all expenses, attach receipts or evidence of purchase that clearly state all of the following:

  1. Name of service provider/seller
  2. Description of service or supplies
  3. Amount paid AND form of payment
  4. Date(s) of service 

**Receipts showing another person's name will not be accepted**

What is my ID Code?

Your ID Code for the Bicycle Expense Claim form are the last four digits of your HUID.

What if I have more than two claims for out of pocket expenses?

Please use a blank page or complete another form. All claims will be combined into a single reimbursement.


Please direct all inquiries to WageWorks (;1.866.433.3980) or CommuterChoice, 617.384.7433.