The Bike Benefit Act allows bicycle commuters to receive up to $20/month at a maximum of $240/year for the costs associated with bicycle purchase, improvement, repair and storage. Unlike an FSA, reimbursement comes directly from the University and is not set aside by the individual employee.
A qualified bicycle commuting month is one during which a benefits eligible employee does not receive a University subsidized monthly MBTA transit pass or a University annual parking permit.
Who is eligible?
Full time benefits eligible employees who commute by bicycle to work. If you have questions about eligibility please email CommuterChoice.
What is reimbursable?
Bicycle commuters are eligible for tax-free reimbursement of up to $20/month at a maximum of $240/year for the costs associated with bicycle purchase, improvement, repair and storage. Purchases such as bicycle apparel, clothing, or Hubway memberships are not eligible at this time.
Eligible expenses include:
New or used bicycles purchased from a store or a private party.
Maintenance, improvements, accessories
- Purchasing parts and/or the service used to improve a bicycle as well as accessories, such as racks and locks.
Parking and storage
- The costs associated with parking or storing a bicycle anywhere from a day to a year.
- Helmets, lights, bells, and reflective items.
How do bicyclists take advantage of the subsidy?
- Complete a Bicycle Expense Claim Form.
- For 2016 expenses, submit the completed Bicycle Expense Claim Form to WageWorks along with photocopied receipts between January 1 - March 31, 2017
Claims will be processed and reimbursements distributed within 45 days.
What form of supporting documentation is needed?
For all expenses, attach bills or evidence of charges that clearly state all of the following:
- Name of service provider
- Nature of service or supplies
- Amount of reimbursable expense under the plan
- Date(s) of service
What is my ID Code?
Your ID Code for the Bicycle Expense Claim form are the last four digits of your HUID.
What if I have more than two claims for out of pocket expenses?
Please use a blank page or complete another form. All claims will be combined into a single reimbursement.
Please direct all inquiries to either WageWorks 1.877.924.3967 or CommuterChoice, 617.384.7433.