The Bike Benefit Act allows bicycle commuters to receive up to $20/month at a maximum of $240/year for the costs associated with bicycle purchase, improvement, repair and storage. Unlike an FSA, reimbursement comes directly from the University and is not set aside by the individual employee.
A qualified bicycle commuting month is one during which a benefits eligible employee does not receive a University subsidized monthly MBTA transit pass or a University annual parking permit.
Who is eligible?
Full time benefits eligible employees who commute by bicycle to work. If you have questions about eligibility please email CommuterChoice.
What is reimbursable?
Bicycle commuters are eligible for tax-free reimbursement of up to $20/month at a maximum of $240/year for the costs associated with bicycle purchase, improvement, repair and storage. Purchases such as bicycle apparel, clothing, or Hubway memberships are not eligible at this time.
Eligible expenses include:
New or used bicycles purchased from a store or a private party.
Maintenance, improvements, accessories
- Purchasing parts and/or the service used to improve a bicycle as well as accessories, such as racks and locks.
Parking and storage
- The costs associated with parking or storing a bicycle anywhere from a day to a year.
- Helmets, lights, bells, and reflective items.
How do bicyclists take advantage of the subsidy?
- Complete a Bicycle Expense Reimbursement Request form, including proof of HUPD bicycle registration.
- For 2016 Expenses, submit the completed Bicycle Expense Reimbursement Request form to Crosby Benefit Systems along with original or photocopied receipts between January 1 - March 31, 2017
Claims will be processed and reimbursements distributed within ten business days. You will only receive notification from Crosby Benefits if there is a problem with your submission.
What form of supporting documentation is needed?
For all expenses, attach bills or evidence of charges that clearly state all of the following:
- Name of service provider
- Nature of service or supplies
- Amount of reimbursable expense under the plan
- Date(s) of service