Shuttle buses and vans are available to University affiliates for charter. We can accommodate small and large groups for both on and off campus service. All charter service fees are billed by the hour with a 2 hour minimum, 3 on Sundays. We also provide referrals to our preferred carriers who may be able to offer expanded services. Planning your charter with Harvard Transit has several benefits:
- Easy and convenient way to transport groups with door to door service.
- Flexible service, we will work with you to tailor a trip to your group’s needs.
- Easy billing using interoffice 33 digit billing code.
- Our drivers are safe and courteous Harvard employees that will go out of their way to assist your group.
- We use clean modern equipment that is comfortable and reliable.
- Common charters include: Continuous loops from two locations, such as parking garages, hotels or academic buildings. Transporting a single group to a destination such as restaurants or events and providing return trip. Multi stop tours. We also handle multi day or reoccurring charters.
- Our buses seat 32 passengers and our vans seat 13.
For more information, including referrals, please call the Shuttle Service coordinator at 617-495-0400. Please try our new online Charter Reservation Request application to request service.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the farthest distance your charter can go?
Charters using a bus are limited to the greater Boston/Cambridge area including Logan Airport. Our Van service has additional range and can complete trips within RT 495, longer trips will be considered on a per case basis.
What do I need to know before calling to set up a charter?
We will be asking a number of questions in order to help you plan out your charter; it is advisable to be thinking about a few factors before you call such as, how many people you will be transporting, when and where the trip will be going, who will be the point person during the trip, how long will your group be at a destination, and will they need a return trip.
How much will the trips cost?
All charters are billed on a per hour basis, $126 an hour for vans and $146 an hour for buses, with a two hour minimum, three on Sundays. This Minimum is per trip. So a drop off in the morning and a drop off at night would be charged four hours.This price reflects the cost of paying drivers and staff overtime and the use of equipment.
Can we rent out the vehicles and drive them ourselves?
Unfortunately not, all Harvard transit vehicles are only insured to be driven by our employees.
Can you handle large groups with several vehicles?
Generally yes, we will be able to accommodate large numbers of passengers, however availability will be subject to a number of factors including time and date. The earlier we plan out large charters the better the chance we can satisfy the request. If we are unable to operate a charter ourselves we will refer you to our preferred outside carriers that have a proven track record working with Harvard.
I have everything ready, what is the next step.
Start by filling out a charter reservation/billing form as completely as possible and then fax it in to 617-384-8254, or email it to Shuttle@harvard.edu. We will contact you within 24 hours during business hours to work out details, pricing and to confirm the trip.