Dear Harvard University Colleague:
Parking Services is committed to enhancing the commuting experience for Harvard faculty, staff, and students by employing innovation in technology, expanding transportation options, increasing efficiency, controlling costs, and improving customer service. Advancements that are being implemented this upcoming year include:
- Introducing a new reduced-rate option in a designated, underutilized parking facility July 1, 2017
- Introducing a new user-driven permit renewal and parking account experience through our existing software application
- Expanding our web portal menu to include online day and weekly permits
- Updating meter technology across campus to ensure availability for short-term parkers
- Implementing new LPR enforcement technology to guarantee spaces for permit holders
- Continuing our parking lot improvement strategy and LED lighting plan
- Supporting new development in the Allston campus
Beginning on July 1, 2017 the parking rates will range from $178.00 per month for unreserved surface parking to $357.00 per month for reserved garage parking – an increase of $6.00 and $12.00 per month respectively. Remember, you can pay for your parking on a pre-tax basis through the University’s payroll deduction system, which will reduce the cost of your permit by up to 35% – depending on your income tax bracket. The pre-tax limit for 2017 remains $255.00 a month. Utilizing this option means the cost of parking for most commuters at Harvard will be approximately $5.51 to $5.88 per day.
As a reminder, employees whose parking fees are payroll deducted are subject to IRS pre-tax regulations that generally prohibit refunds. We strongly encourage employees to give at least two weeks’ notice before cancelling parking privileges.
Our annual survey showed only 14% of University employees drive alone to work in Cambridge – the national average is well over 70%! A record number of Harvard commuters are taking advantage of the alternate transportation programs our CommuterChoice department offers. CommuterChoice recently migrated to the new WageWorks transit ordering platform. New functionality includes:
- Pre-loaded debit cards and pay-my-provider options for pre-tax parking
- Multi-language phone support
- Placing, changing, or cancelling orders over the phone
- Replacing Bus and Subway passes through the WageWorks website
The Parking Services and CommuterChoice staff members are dedicated to helping you with any commuting questions or concerns. Please contact the Campus Service Center at 617-496-7827 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. To contact CommuterChoice, please call 617-384-7433 or email the department at email@example.com.
Director of Parking and CommuterChoice