While some employees may be returning to the campus full time, others may continue their hybrid work schedules. With this in mind, Transportation Services is providing an update to flexible commuting programs and services to meet the shifting needs of the Harvard community.
- The temporary $10 daily parking permit rate has been extended through June 2022. Employees can purchase a daily parking permit here, up to 14 days in advance. Be sure to print and display the permit on the vehicle dashboard.
- Pay as you park with no time limit using the ZipBy app for $1.50/hr. Please visit transportation.harvard.edu/zipby for more information including pre-tax savings and tutorials.
- Four-hour metered parking is available at the Observatory, 2 Hague Street, and Webster Lots.
- More information on annual parking permits can be found at parking.harvard.edu.
Parking rates and policies are different in the Longwood Medical Area and information can be found on the Harvard Medical School Parking website.
Bus and Subway
- One way bus and subway tickets are available for purchase at any MBTA kiosk.
7-Day bus and subway LINK pass
- These passes are valid for 12 months and available for purchase with pre-tax savings via payroll deduction at transportation.harvard.edu/edenred.
- Passes can also be purchased at any MBTA kiosk.
Commuter Rail and Ferry
10-ride and 5-day flex bundles
- The MBTA sells these bundles at a discounted rate for commuter rail passes through their mTicket app.
- The 10-ride bundles are valid for three months
- 5-day flex bundles are valid for one month
One way ticket
- The MBTA sells one way commuter rail and ferry tickets available for purchase on the mTicket app.
Monthly Transit Pass
- Purchase monthly MBTA passes at a 50% subsidized rate at transportation.harvard.edu/edenred.
Calculate the cost of your transit commute to determine whether a monthly pass or flexible transit pass is best for your commuting needs. You can calculate your breakeven point here.
Pre-Tax Savings on Flexible Parking and Transit Options
Transportation Debit Card
- If you are choosing a flexible transit or parking option, you may enroll in a pre-tax debit card for an additional 30-35% savings. IRS regulations now permit using pre-tax parking and transit funds interchangeably, so you can use the flexible debit card for purchasing transit passes, parking at a transit station lot, and for daily/hourly parking at Harvard.
- For more information, including how to sign up for the debit card and a list of eligible parking and transit expenses, please visit here.
Biking and Walking
Quincy-Dewolfe Bike Corridor
- This establishes a new north-south bike route connecting Harvard Square to Allston via the Weeks Footbridge. These one-way streets now have a protected bike lane to allow for northbound access for bicyclists. Other improvements include wider sidewalks, raised crosswalks and a two-way cycle track.
- Harvard University has added a Bluebikes station at the Allston Athletics Complex and expanded the station at the i-lab. Harvard affiliates can access a discounted annual Bluebikes memberships here and view a station map here.
Bike & Pedestrian Map
- Find bicycle facilities and infrastructure on campus using the interactive Harvard Map at map.harvard.edu.
- Download the Passio Go! app for Harvard shuttle routes and real-time location and crowding information. Spring 2022 semester updates can be found at link.
- The On Demand Van Service is designed to supplement the fixed route service. You may download the Harvard Evening Van app to book a ride.
- The M2 shuttle runs between the Lamont Library in Harvard Square and the Harvard Medical School in LMA. Access the shuttle for free with your Harvard ID. The shuttle schedule can be found here.
- Benefits-eligible Harvard employees have access to a 50% discounted parking permit when they carpool with another employee at least 4 days a week. Learn more here.
- Harvard employees who participate in a vanpool (5-15 members) can access additional perks, such as 50% off vanpool expenses, pre-tax savings and a parking permit at no cost. Learn more here.
- If you are thinking about switching commute modes, but need help selecting the best option, complete this commute assistance form and CommuterChoice will create a personalized plan for you!